What is a co-pay?
A co-payment, or co-pay, refers to a common form of cost-sharing leveraged by health insurance plans. The fee is a fixed payment that patients are required to pay for a healthcare service. While a patient’s health plan might cover that healthcare service in full, they typically also require that patient to pay a co-pay.
What does a pharma company need to know about co-pays?
Pharma companies need to know about health insurance companies’ co-pay information to help inform and influence their commercial strategies. Here’s how:
- Co-pay information can help pharma companies understand how and why patients may not be accessing their medications. High co-pays are often a barrier to adherence, which, ultimately, affects a drug’s market share.
- Co-pay information is often a deciding factor on which drugs are placed on formulary and how.
- Knowledge of co-pays helps pharma competitors better understand their competitors and assess the competitive landscape overall.
- Pharma companies may choose to develop co-pay assistance programs to help patients afford their medications if the co-pays are high.
- Assessing trends in co-pay amounts—like how they change over time or regional variations—can help pharma companies adjust their pricing and access strategies.
- Co-pay data is crucial for helping manufacturers develop reimbursement strategies for healthcare providers, and provide insight into the best approach for encouraging HCP uptake.
- Manufacturers may use co-pay information to inform their regulatory submissions and the cost-sharing environment in different markets when seeking drug approval.
- Pharma also uses co-pay data to inform their pricing strategies, taking a patients’ out-of-pocket costs into account.
How does a pharma company gather co-pay information?
Data on co-pays can be collected from various sources, including healthcare technology vendors, market research companies, healthcare providers and insurance companies. When seeking to understand co-pay dynamics to inform your market access strategy, choosing a trusted data vendor is key.
Want to hear about MMIT’s mission to help patients access life-saving treatments?
The right insights can help you drive access for your brand
Look through our white papers, case studies and other resources to find out how our research drives innovation and results.